The National Indian Justice Center (NIJC) is pleased to announce the Tribal Engagement and Technical Assistance (TE/TA) Project, funded by grant 74A0980 from the California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) Sustainable Transportation Planning Grant Program. The TE/TA project allows NIJC to provide training and technical assistance services to Caltrans staff, California Tribes, and other collaborative transportation partners. NIJC will support the Caltrans Native American Liaison Branch (NALB) in efforts to engage and collaborate with California Tribes through activities such as (1) on-call technical assistance services for Caltrans and Metropolitan Planning Organizations planning staff, (2) special studies, (3) in-person training sessions for Caltrans and Metropolitan Planning Organizations planning staff, (4) technical assistance for tribes applying for planning grants, (5) tribal transportation plan development, and (6) training sessions in support of tribal transportation planning and funding programs.
TE/TA Service Request Process:
- To initiate a Service Request, please go to: (https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/TETARequestInitiation). This survey will be used to establish a point of contact for the request and help us to allocate resources.
- Complete this Service Request Form and return it to TETA@nijc.org. (Download the form by clicking the link above above or go to https://nijc.org/TETA.html).
- Upon receipt, NIJC staff will contact key team members to further develop the Service Request details. Upon completion, NIJC will submit the Service Request to Caltrans for approval. Upon approval, the Service Request activities will be scheduled and delivered.
We look forward to working with you!
Announcement: On-call Technical Assistance Services for Transportation Planning
As part of the Tribal Engagement and Technical Assistance Project, the National Indian Justice Center (NIJC) provides on-call services to Caltrans, MPOs, and tribal governments for a variety of transportation planning issues.
Caltrans and MPO may utilize NIJC’s on-call services for:
- Coordinating transportation plans with tribal communities or including tribal communities in regional or state planning activities.
- Guidance on initiating consultation with a tribal community.
- Developing meeting agendas or protocols for Caltrans projects.
- Developing tribal participation plans, including identifying and providing outreach to key tribal partners.
- Technical assistance as needed to address implementation gaps or needs for tribal engagement, tribal transportation planning, or best practices in tribal consultation.
Tribes may utilize NIJC’s on-call services for:
- Develop guidance or gathering data for tribal planning grants.
- Conduct webinars or one-on-one meetings to guide interested tribes through the state planning grant programs.
- Guidance on working with Caltrans on transportation projects impacting tribal communities.
- Guidance on participating as Cultural Monitors on Caltrans transportation projects.
Please call NIJC at (707) 579-5507 to utilize our on-call services for this project.
Upon completion of all on-call work, NIJC will prepare a summary report, fact sheet, or PowerPoint presentation (for public distribution) detailing final outcome(s).