Western TTAP Safety Circuit Rider
News and Announcements
The Western TTAP is responsible for administering the Tribal SCR Program which is designed to provide safety-related information, training, and support to the Tribal transportation agencies responsible for roadway safety. While the primary focus is on tribal roads, the Tribal SCR Program Specialist will assist the WTTAP and their partners in improving road safety in Indian Country. The Tribal SCR Program can take many forms including technical assistance, training, and technology transfer.
The SCR program is funded by the Center for Disease Control (CDC) National Center for Injury Prevention and managed by the Federal Highway Administration Office of Technical Services (FHWA-OTS) – Technology Partnership Programs. The SCR is being pilot tested at three TTAP Centers (Northern Plains, Southern Plains, and Western). Traditionally, SCR Programs have focused on the Four E’s (Engineering, Education, Emergency Response, and Enforcement). The Tribal SCR Program will expand the role to include behavior modification approaches in traffic safety (i.e. child passenger safety, seat belt use, impaired driving prevention).
In order to make the Western TTAP Safety Circuit Rider program more effective, we would like to determine the priority transportation training and technical assistance needs for the tribes in California and Nevada. We are asking for your help in developing a comprehensive list of those needs by completing the Tribal Safety Circuit Rider Program Tribal Transportation Needs Assessment. To view and complete needs assessment go to: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/SCRNeedsAssessment
NHTSA updated their seatbelt and pregnancy information.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Tribal Road Safety: Get the Facts: http://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafety/native/factsheet.html
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
- Bicycling Safety: http://www.nhtsa.gov/Bicycles
- Countermeasures That Work: A Highway Safety Countermeasure Guide for State Highway Safety Offices, Eighth Edition, 2015: http://www.nhtsa.gov/staticfiles/nti/pdf/812202-CountermeasuresThatWork8th.pdf
Pedestrian and Bicycle Information Center (PBIC)
- Pedestrian and Bicycle: http://www.pedbikeinfo.org/training/webinars_PSAP.cfm
- An Organizer’s Guide to a Bicycle Rodeo: http://www.bike.cornell.edu/pdfs/Bike_Rodeo_404.2.pdf